- The last day to eat meat is on the Sunday of the Last Judgment on March 3. Cheese week begins the next day. Cheesefare Sunday (Maslinitsa) is on March 10. Immediately following the Liturgy there will be Vespers with the rite of mutual forgiveness. Great Lent begins on March 11.
- During the first week of Great Lent (March 11-15) there will be special Lenten services every evening at 6 p.m. Mon.-Thurs. will be Great Compline with the reading of the Great Canon of St. Andrew of Crete. Friday will be Small Compline with the Akathist to the Virgin Mary followed by a class.
- Regular Special Lenten services: Wed.: Presanctified Divine Liturgy - please see calendar for morning (8 a.m.) or evening (6p.m.) times. Fri.: Small Compline with the Akathist to the Virgin Mary at 6 p.m. followed by a Lenten discussion class.
- During all of Great Lent there will be a series of classes following the Friday service of Small Compline with Akathist. The subject will be a deeper look at the Divine Liturgy. We will be reading together “Reflections on the Divine Liturgy” by Nicolai Gogol (available in the parish bookstore). A lenten meal of soup and bread will be provided for the participants in the class.
- On the Sunday of Orthodoxy (March 17), immediately following the Divine Liturgy will be a molieben for the Conversion of Those in Error. Later that day at 5 p.m. there will be a joint PanOrthodox Lenten Vespers at Holy Transfiguration (Antiochian) Orthodox Church in Meridian. St. Nicholas Brotherhood will provide a Lenten meal following the Vespers.
- We will be continuing to prepare for the Russian Food Festival with a work day on Saturday, February 23 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- We are looking for people who can provide entertainment for the Russian Food Festival. We would like this to be something specifically Russian such as music or folk dancing, but other ideas are welcome as long as they are in keeping with a church event. One possibility is for some of the children to learn a few Russian folk dances. Please contact Elena or Dan DeYoung if you have talent or ideas to share.